Founded in 1945, Arrowhead is a private, not for profit, non-sectarian treatment facility serving at-risk youth 12-21. Services are open to adolescents regardless of race, color, or national origin. Arrowhead is located in a rural setting just outside of Coal Valley, Illinois, only a few miles from the Quad Cities, a metropolitan area of more than 400,000 people located along the Mississippi River.
Arrowhead’s mission is to motivate youth-at-risk to become productive and responsible young men and women by providing the highest quality counseling, education, social services to youth and their families.
Arrowhead is funded through payments for the adolescents’ care by placement agencies and through donations and grants. Placement agencies pay a per diem (daily) rate that covers the expense of providing care for each resident.
In the mid-1940′s, community leaders became concerned that troubled boys, placed outside of their own homes, were having to leave the area for other parts of the state. It was thought that the boys would be better served if a facility was opened in Rock Island County. So in 1945 the Rock Island County Boys Farm School opened its doors. The facility was a large farmhouse on a 250 acre dairy farm owned by Rock Island County. The Farm School also rented and operated another 180 acres of farmland.
In 1958, the facility changed its name to Arrowhead and became an independent, not-for-profit, child care agency. In the late 1960′s, Arrowhead officials conducted a fund drive to raise money to relocate to the adjacent property. In 1970 Arrowhead added dormitories, a school, gymnasium, industrial arts building, swimming pool, and chapel. With these additions, more youth could be served and enrollment grew. Currently Arrowhead is licensed to serve 50.
In October of 1992, Arrowhead completed construction of a physical education center, and two years later, completed renovation of the old gymnasium into an Education Center. A Medicaid Program was implemented at Arrowhead in May of 1994. In January 1999, renovations were completed to a farmhouse located on Arrowhead’s grounds, converting the single dwelling home into an extended aftercare facility for a maximum of 12 residents. In 2002 the William E. Nelson Memorial Automotive Repair Program began operation. In 2004, Arrowhead opened its doors to females.
An important part of Arrowhead’s history is its annual Round-Up. In 1973 Carl Belknap originated an idea of conducting an annual fundraising event to raise money for ongoing capital improvements. Each year hundreds of volunteers work to hold a fun filled day including carnival games, live entertainment, food & beverages, a craft show, a flea maret, bingo and a vehicle auction.
Today, Arrowhead enjoys a reputation as a successful residential treatment facility that has helped hundreds of youths and their families.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-35816743-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);